On our twelfth and final day of gift guides for 2015, we focus on gifts that transport and navigate. They take you places, shift your mindset, and widen your perspective. If you missed any of the other 11 days all of the guides are listed here, along with a cool contest to win $250 in Visa Gift Cards. Happy Holidays!
To help start the night off right, prep with Olay’s newly enhanced Total Effects formula with 40% more vitamins and the highest level of Niacinamide in an over-the-counter Olay skincare product. The enhanced formula makes this anti-aging moisturizer a must-have summer beauty staple. This moisturizer packs more vitamins than the leading prestige moisturizer and will help you get ready for your night out!
Now, onto your eyes! Lash fame… it’s a thing! Get ready to shine the spotlight on your eyes and give your lashes a starring role with NEW COVERGIRL The Super Sizer Mascara. This new mascara will help lengthen and volumize your lashes for that “Oh La La” look! This mascara is perfect for adding that extra pop for that date night or evening out on the town.
This new mascara has a unique Lash Styler that is designed to allow maximum mascara-to-lash contact and can give your lashes 400% bigger, corner-to-corner volume.
Go on, twirl it and get the best false lash look in 3 easy steps:
- Place the Lash Styler’s narrow, long core and short bristles right at the base of the lashes.
- Pull the Lash Styler through the lashes from root to tip, twirling or rotating it a bit as you go.
- Sculpt and style the lashes until you reach supersized, corner to corner volume.
For more drama, pair your wonderful super-sized lashes with Intensify Me! Liquid Liner. Its paddle tip provides two looks – thick and dramatic or thin and elegant and can help you achieve the perfect cat-eye.
- COVERGIRL Super Sizer Mascara- $6.99-$9.99
- Intensify Me! Liquid Liner- $6.99-$9.99
- Olay Total Effects Anti-aging Moisturizer, Fragrance-Free– $32.99
Please fill out this Rafflecopter form. Canada only, Excl. Quebec. Ends 30/05 Good luck!
*Pricing at discretion of the retailer. Available in select stores May 2015.
I don’t like new year’s resolutions because they usually amount to more pressure and disappointment. I try to look at life as progress – are every few years getting better than the last? Are we happy? Over the past two months I’ve been focusing on living simply, eliminating stress and organizing life. Along with drinking lemon water, buying a juicer, there are 10 things the family has undertaken to ensure we are living simply with as little stress as possible.
1. Unsubscribe from as many email lists as possible. Keep the ones that you covet, but recognize that your time – even that 5 second glance to your phone when it dings – is worth gold. To help with this, our newsletter is now monthly and packed with only the most popular of our daily articles.
2. Do a closet overhaul. (It doesn’t have to be a What Not to Wear episode where you feel guilty and depressed.) Put anything that doesn’t quite fit in a suitcase labelled with the size and date. We love Mabel’s Labels new Scan and Store barcode labels with an app so you know what’s in the box and where you put it! Check for stained items, holes, pills and shoes beyond repair. Invest in new, thin felt hangers (Homesense is a great place for these) and take metal hangers back to the drycleaner.
3. Place all of your jewelry on the bed. Separate any broken pieces that need repair, and start a collection of unwanted or broken costume pieces for a little girl in your life. When I was a little girl, a friend’s grandmother did this for me and I was thrilled by my treasures. Polish the silver and clean gold, pearls and gems with a soft cloth. I hung chunky necklaces on scarf hangars and places bangles in shoeboxes.
4. Pull out your makeup and toss anything that is too old. Wash brushes with Dawn and water and dry flat on a cloth. 97.9 % of us, according to a 2003 study on the use of cosmetics, are guilty of using make-up after the expiration date, with mascara being the most frequently mentioned product. Products with a higher water content have a shorter lifespan after opening due to the ability for bacteria and microbes to breed in moisture. Curious about expiration dates? Here’s a cheat sheet:
Expiration Dates for Makeup:
Mascara (regular or waterproof), liquid, pencil or gel eyeliners: 4 to 6 months
Cream, Liquid or Stick Foundations or Concealers: 6 months to 1 year
Powder-based products (including mineral makeup): 2-3 years
Lipsticks, Lip Gloss, & Lip Pencils: 2-3 years
Cleansers: 1 year
Toners: 6 months to 1 year
BHA or AHA Exfoliants: 1 year
Facial or Body Moisturizers and Serums: 6 months to 1 year
Lip Balms: 1 year
5. Eliminate undue travel stress. Note passport expiry dates in your calendar and apply for a Nexus/Global Entry pass to skip long airport security lines. Keep travel chargers and ziplocks sorted with different currencies from past trips in your go-to suitcase, and have a few key seasonal clothing items at the ready in case you take a trip to a different climate. Check balances on hotel points cards and ensure you are using them to your advantage.
6. Be ready for sick days. Check first aid kits for expiration dates on medicines. Have homemade chicken soup in the freezer. We use the homemade chicken stock recipe from Kitchen Stewardship, which provides incredible healing benefits, including boosting the immune system, aiding digestion, increasing efficiency of protein use and providing easily digestible minerals, including calcium. You also get none of the ‘fake’ foods and preservatives when you make it yourself. Get rid of the dust. Give your kids an extendible Swiffer duster once a week and give them a quarter if they can cover it with dust from the tops of frames and chandeliers.
7. Grab all of your gift cards and see if some can be amalgamated. If you have a stack of cards you will never use, use Cardswap.ca to exchange them for cards you will use.
8. Are your computer and mobile phone systems working well? I hadn’t backed up files, and my phone and computer contacts were duplicated or not being saved properly. Not being able to find a number for a mom during a playdate or losing precious photos to power surges can be devastating or just stressful. Calling Geek Squad or heading to the nearest Apple or Microsoft store could sort out all of your tech woes. Oh, and write your printer toner numbers in your wallet along with your license plate number. (Or am I the only one who always forgets these?) You can also photograph it all, along with membership cards and parking passes and store the photos in a special account in the cloud.
9. Evaluate the entertainment options. Our family is a bit over the top. We have a huge cable package, a Netflix subscription, Next Issue, and regularly make purchases on iTunes and Google Play. I sat down with the family and we discussed our needs. There isn’t enough time in the week to watch, play and read everything. We decided what is most important (English football and Netflix) and eliminated a few unnecessary distractions from there. It can be worth a call to your providers to check the options. Rogers has now introduced Shomi, and Amazon Prime can cut down on entertainment costs. For film buffs in the US, Fandango is your best friend.
10. Do you and your kids do a weekly activity? We were always searching for shin guards, cleats and ski helmets, so we now have a system. Monogrammed bags for each activity (ours are from Land’s End) are packed and in the mudroom. We take them to the activity and then right to the laundry room afterwards. When the clothes are clean and dry they go right back into the bag and to their permanent home. Ditto for library book bags.
We’d love to hear your tips and tricks for living simply! Write them below and we will choose our favourite at random for a special gift card!
Disclosure: This article is not sponsored. UrbanMommies does receive samples to test from time to time, and some Proctor and Gamble and Mabel’s Labels items are shown here, however all creative and selections are my own.
If you’re looking to make a statement, gold always works. Our gold hostess gifts will be sure to knock her socks off.
1. Celebration Champagne Glasses from Chapters/Indigo $38.00 – Because holiday cocktails should never be dull!
2. MyKronoz ZeBracelet2 Smartwatch – Rose Gold 99$ – It tells time, streams music, allows you to answer calls and also displays text messages!
3. Metallic Gold Paper Straws from Etsy $5.81 – These make even a kale smoothie taste festive!
4. CoverGirl Outlast Stay Brilliant Nail Gloss – Golden Opportunity 230 -$4.99 Gold is the new red.
5. Classic Gold Ingot Swiss Army Knife $280 – Elegant and timeless.
6. Logitech Gold Tendrils Wireless Mouse – Heighten her desk to new levels.
7. Gold Stag Place Card Holder 14.95 – Can you imagine a holiday table adorned with these stately gems?
8. MAKE UP FOR EVER Metal Powder $28 – In the corner of the eye, or as all-over shadow, she could audition for a James Bond film.
9. 2014-2015 Kate Spade Large Planner Black Stripe $38.00 – She will never forget an appointment with this beauty!
10. Celebration Champagne Glasses from Chapters/Indigo $38.00
noun: The moment one feels her most beautiful and empowered self and wants to share it with the world.
I remember as a child learning that models who grace the covers of glossy magazines get only $100 for their effort. And a whole lot of bragging rights. I dreamed of being a cover model. Now as I near my (gasp) 40’s, I look at women everywhere and see such beauty that I think everyone should be a covergirl. A #covermoment celebrates the uniqueness in everyone – it showcases the moments in life when one feels most confident and authentic.
According to a recent survey by COVERGIRL, two-thirds of Canadian women surveyed were unhappy after seeing the selfies they snapped. Why not take your selfie to the next level and let your #covermoment shine through! Watch COVERGIRL Makeup Pro Amélie Ducharme offer a few quick and simple tips for Amelie, Alex and Katelyn!
- COVERGIRL Bombshell Volume Mascara – $11.99*
- COVERGIRL TruBlend Foundation – $13.99*
- COVERGIRL TruMagic Skin Perfector – $13.99*
- COVERGIRL Lipslicks Smoochies Sizzle Gloss – $6.49*
Share your #covermoment on Facebook and you could be featured on the P&G Beauty Canada Facebook page. Twice a month from February through March we’ll select our favourite #covermoment to celebrate your selfies.
*Pricing at the discretion of the retailer.
Enter to win! #Canada only, ends Feb. 28th
Six more days until the kids go back to school. Woo hoo! (Or AAAGH depending on your level of organization.) No matter how prepared you are, there are always some last minute essentials left to cross of your list. And you are perfectly entitled to shop for yourself once in a while, Mom. UrbanMommies is all about the online shopping these days and as a #PGMom our publisher has a treat for a reader… a Well.ca Flash Back to School Giveaway – $10 coupon code from Well.ca to pick up last minute items from the comfort of your home.
Email us by tomorrow night with the one product you’d love to get to refresh your look for fall, and we’ll let you know on Aug. 29th if you’ve won! For us, the Covergirl Lash Protection Mascara is high on the list. The Well.ca coupons expire on Sunday, August 31 – just in time for the first day of school.
So email us your must-have! And if you’re more altruistic, it doesn’t have to be for you. It can be a P&G teen bundle for the little woman in your life heading to high school, Easy-Ups for your toddler starting pre-school or Tide to Go and Puffs for your kids’ back packs – Well.ca has you covered with P&G essentials.