We always tend to do back to school at the last minute, and not because I’m lazy. It’s more that I can’t possibly bear to let go of summer.
Those who know me realize that I search ebay almost as often as I scan Instagram. My searches generally involve antique china, rockabilly dresses and steamer trunks, but as autumn approaches I must be
Ding dong!! The long days of summer are ‘falling’ (see what we did there?) into chillier evenings and it’s time to whip out the ol’ credit card for back to school. On the bright side, there are no more camp or childcare fees… We’ve scoured the web to find our special back to school picks for 2014. What’s on your list?
1. Booginhead Pack ’ems – from the creators of Squeeze ’ems come these funky reusable velcro snack pouches.
2. National Geographic Kids Cookbook – Join Barton Seaver—master chef and National Geographic Explorer—on a year-round culinary adventure as he explores what it takes to create the ultimate dish. Available for pre-order and will surely help with the school lunches.
3. Kids graduating to a locker? Start them off right with a locker shelf to keep them organized.
4. Set up your command center in a stylish way with this funky chevron cork board.
5. The HP 300s+ Scientific Calculator is a great investment that will carry the kids into the future of schooling and science. PS – it’s durable!!
6. Logitech’s Colour Collection wireless mouse will make them race to the homework desk.
7. Kid Made Modern crayons from Target.
8. The new HÅRTE LED work lamp from Ikea in Chrome-plated aluminum and powder coated steel is a cool $14.99.
9. Hilroy neon 3-Ring Binder from Target.
10. Joe Fresh is always on our back to school hitlist and this year they didn’t disappoint. Check out these sparkly sneakers!
11. Post-it Binder Tabs eliminate the need to fight with labels and tab inserts!
12. He’ll be cool enough for school in this Joe Fresh bomber.
13. Rag and Bone Right To Play tote at Holt Renfrew make for great, sturdy carry-alls for the extra shoes, change of clothes or the bake sale goodies.
14. The Victorinox Trooper backpack with laptop sleeve will last way longer than the school year does.
15. Metal tablet stand from Pottery Barn Kids
16. Is she ready for a new fragrance? Anna Sui’s Flight of Fancy is a subtle yet beautiful scent for the young lady in your house. Only available at Holt’s.
17. Stick to the litterless lunch with eco-friendly Juice in the Box spillproof and BPA-Free containers from Lavish & Lime.
18. Featuring leakproof lids, these sweet bento boxes from Chapters Indigo may actually make them want to finish their lunch!
We all know that the end of August brings an obsession with things ‘wooly’ and the exciting task of acquiring school supplies and clothing for the kids. Parents scour busy stores overflowing with pencils in order to outfit their children for back to school. Not to worry! The back to school shopping guide features lots of stylish goodies that can be found online. In hopes you used a bit of the summer to de-clutter and inventory what you already have, you can fill the holes in your kids’ back to school shopping list with a few of our picks. We’ve shopped around to find the best supplies, gadgets and funky fashions for your little collegiates.
And we have a little something for you too. If you’d like to win a prize pack valued at over $300 including a Sketchers backpack, Staples school supplies, a Hello Kitty flash drive, Sony Pictures videos and a $75 Coupon for Zutano – here’s how you can enter (up to 3 times – one with each entry method)!
1. Facebook: Follow us, then like/share our guide on Facebook and email us the link or screenshot to email@example.com
2. Pinterest: Follow us and repin your favorite items from our guide tagged with: Fresh from the @urbanmommies #BacktoSchool Guide
3. Twitter: Follow us and tweet a link to our guide including @urbanmommies #BacktoSchool
One winner will be drawn at random on September 30. Good luck and Happy #BacktoSchool!
Back to School Supplies
1. The Spencer Stainless Steel Bento Box Container: Crafted of stainless steel with a spacious bottom compartment, an interior tray for separating snacks and a snug plastic lid, this is sure to be a winner. Just make sure you check our our healthy snack ideas when you fill it! $59 Available at www.potterybarnkids.com
2. Text Bands. Now kids only have to bump fists in order to pass notes. The text bands allow the message to appear on a friend’s wrist with a light bump. You can type up to 10 characters and each band can hold up to 24 messages at once. (Turning the band off will delete all messages). Now that’s a heck of an improvement from note passing. Hallmark.com
3. ABC Sigg Water Bottles are BPA and phthalate free. You can recyclable them at the end of their lifetime, and the nonporous interior lining in the bottles ensures that it remains taste and odor neutral. Know what that means? You can put grape juice in it (or something stronger for Mom) on the weekend and send it to school with milk on Monday. www.mysigg.com
4. Fun, Fictional Flash Drives – From The Simpsons, Family Guy, and Looney Tunes to skateboard USBs, students can transport files with their favourite characters. Unfortunately, they do not come with your very own Princess Leah hologram. You’ll have to hit the rides at Disneyland for that. www.staples.ca
5. The Madbox from Land’s End is the coolest lunchbox we’ve seen in a while. Five kids from Madison, WI set out to build a better lunchbox and Land’s End liked their idea so much – they produced it! It comes with an adjustable ice pack that focuses the cold to the food that needs to stay cold and leaves room temperature food alone. No more soggy crackers. www.landsend.com
6. Who doesn’t love labels? Mabels Labels has a cool new Tween pack that is sure to delight your kids. They’ve also got a rock-sold back-to-school pack and even preschool shoe labels. www.mabelslabels.com
7. New for the fall, the Native ‘Jimmy’. From the makes of our favourite summer show comes the Jimmy, just in time for fall. These durable and funky boots will look great with this season’s signature trench for kids. www.shop.nativeshoes.com
8. The Lunchkin reusable sandwich bag. In Hermes orange, or course. Wait. That’s for me. Well, if you want uber-cute, they’re available in crabs, sailboats, soccer balls and school apples too. And they’re great for the environment. And cool. Need we say more? www.raspberrykids.com
9. Any flower-lover would eat every bite out out of this adorable PVC-free grab-and-go lunch purse. But be careful. Unless you snag a couple you may have a fight on your hands, as we guarantee you’ll want one too! I think I may grab one and use it for a funky back tie clutch… www.lavishandlime.com