On day 9 of our 12 Days of Christmas Gift Guides we zoom in on gifts that smoulder and STUN. And to my sons’ chagrin there are no handheld toy firearms. What stuns? Whatever gives you whiplash. Light. Shine. Clarity. Beauty. In case you missed any, we’ve done a round-up of all of our guides, along with a chance to win $250 in Visa gift cards.
1. Elsa Peretti BONE CUFF from Tiffany and Co. The sublime asymmetry and sensuous contours have an ergonomic quality that makes them one with the body. Cuff with black finish over copper. Engraving is also available. $425
2. The Sidecar: I adore Jim Meehan. He is a wonder. I am proud to call him my friend and have hosted seminars with him, watching entranced as he makes crafting the finest cocktails in the world look so easy. The Sidecar, a collaboration between Moore & Giles and barman Jim Meehan, weds world class bar design, timeless aesthetics and traditional woodcraft to produce a unique piece of handmade working furniture. $13,500. On a more modest budget, Jim’s Spirited Award winning PDT Cocktail book is the most essential book on the topic and a bargain at under $20 on Amazon.com
3. Massimo Alba Cashmere Sweater: Crafted from beautifully light 1-ply cashmere and dyed using a watercolour method, Massimo Alba’s sweater encapsulates the brand’s considered approach. The subtly nuanced colour is a characteristic of the hand-applied technique and exudes effortless luxury. Tap into the label’s understated elegance by teaming it with washed-cotton trousers and burnished-leather shoes. $825 USD
4. Yves Salomon Black Fur Lined Parka: Long sleeve parka in black. Removable rabbit fur lining and Finn raccoon fur trim at hood. Zip closure at front concealed by press-stud placket. Flap pockets at waist with press-stud closure. Inset rib knit cuffs and adjustable cinch straps with press-stud fastening at sleeves. inset rib knit sleeve cuffs. drawstring at inner waistband. removable rabbit fur vest lining. welt pockets at interior. tonal stitching. Fur trim: 100% finn raccoon. Hood & Body lining: 100% rabbit fur. Lining: 100% polyester. Made in France. Yves Salomon…The lightness of the clothes and the affordable prices completely transform the landscape of the world of fur. $2,850 CAD.
5. There was a red Zac Posen dress worn by Demi Moore in an issue of Vogue a few years ago and every time I say the word ‘Stunning’ my partner mentions the dress. I’d better get on finding one second-hand. In the meantime, these Zac Posen sunglasses will suffice.
6. Our family just installed Phillips HUE strip lights, and my simple instagram and facebook photo had hundreds of friends commenting. Stuck underneath a counter, this string of lights can be made into over a million colours on my smartphone. Mood lighting enters a new level (and it’s the fastest decor update I’ve ever done). You plug a starter kit base station into your wifi network, screw in the lightbulbs and download the app. They all sync and you can control the colour and timers on each bulb. The lightstrip was an add-on (you can add 50 lights to the same base station) and the kids are obsessed. I am So the Queen of Playdates now. Starter pack: $200 Lightstrip $80.
7. I’ve always coveted the Pigalle shoe by Louboutin, and after visiting Paris last month the obsession has only grown. A bit more accessible, and just as sexy as his shoes is the new Rouge nail lacquer by Louboutin. $50.00
8. Until I bought the Canon Eos Rebel T6i, along with a gorgeous zoom lens, I didn’t realize how terrible my photos had been. I cringe that memories from Bali, Disney, French Polynesia and all of those special kid moments are not as clear and beautiful as they could have been. But this is a new era of hope and clarity, and now I own this bad boy. We think you should too. $799.99
9. Martha Sturdy is a Canadian artist and sculptor. Born and raised in British Columbia, Martha has always been inspired and guided by the elements. Materials like mineral and salvaged Cedar find expression in her work — offering a reflection of a landscape that is itself bold, clean and strong. Never delicate, but always pared down, her work finds a balance in its weightiness and a resolve in its proportion. Her ‘Undulating’ series of brass sculpture is available at Holly Hunt. Price upon request.
10.Brock Collection Poplin Gown: Crafted of white cotton poplin, Brock Collection’s gown is styled with a full skirt and detailed with a self-tie grosgrain belt. Exclusively at Barney’s New York. $2900 USD